[Skip to content]

NCAS Homepage

Accessing information

NCAS, as part of the NHS Litigation Authority, is committed to openness and transparency and sharing of information where appropriate, whilst maintaining the confidentiality of personal sensitive information of patients and staff. We are also committed to working with the NHS and other interested parties to understand the information we hold and how it can be used to improve patient and staff safety. Read our information sharing principles and Records Management Policy.


Where possible, we will deal with requests for information informally and in the course of normal business. However, there will be circumstances in which either you or we consider that a request for information should be dealt with under the information access legislation. These pages outline the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) and the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) , particularly in relation to rights of access, to help you make a formal information request to us. If you need any assistance or further information about our procedures for accessing information, please contact us:


Email: foi@nhsla.com

Telephone: 020 7972 2958 or 020 7972 2959

Fax: 020 7972 2977

Post: Information Access Team, NCAS, Area 1C, Skipton House, 80 London Road, London SE1 6LH



The Data Protection Act establishes a framework of rights and duties designed to safeguard personal information. The rights include that of an individual to request from a ‘data controller’ (such as NCAS/NHSLA) a copy of the personal information held about them. This right of access is subject to a number of exemptions. Please see Data Protection for further details. 



The Freedom of Information Act provides the public with a general right of access to official information held by public authorities. It also sets out a number of exemptions from the right to know. Please see Freedom of Information for further details. 


Information requests made under the DPA or the FOIA must be in writing. If you need help to meet this requirement, contact the Information Access Team at the address above.   


Our internal review process sets out how we deal with complaints about our handling of information requests. If, at any stage, you are not content with our handling of your request, you may complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). However, in general, the ICO expects the local complaints procedure to be used in the first instance.